- The Trust supports the outcome of more kids, young people and adults engaging in sport and recreation that has ongoing benefits to the physical and mental well-being of people. We will provide assistance to sporting organisations to improve capability, to become more sustainable and to ensure that the experience of participants is a positive one encouraging lifelong activity.
- The Trust invests in community initiatives that support the vulnerable in society. Initiatives like the Kootuitui ki Papakura Trust programme that weaves together education, health and homes supporting whanau and schools to enable better life outcomes for tamariki. The funding for this groundbreaking programme was channelled through the Middlemore Foundation.
- The Otago Medical Research Foundation exists for the furtherance of medical research in Otago. It funds first-rate research, equipment and facilities for the scientists, students, practitioners and lecturers based in Otago. This leading research positively influences the lives of millions of people.
Education And Youth
- The Southern Trust believes the wider community gets great outcomes if appropriate investment is made in our young people. It funds a wide range of educational causes from kindergartens right through to tertiary level. Funding is used to enable children to have educational experiences outside the classroom, be exposed to new technology, have fun in up to date and safe playgrounds and be in a warm and pleasant environment that promotes learning.
- The Southern Trust encourages and supports the Arts across the country. They fund our iconic organisations like NZ Ballet, NZ Opera and the NZ Symphony orchestra, in particular when these organisations are bringing their performances to regional New Zealand so the experience is accessible to as many people as possible.
- A wide variety of locally produced art festivals and performances are also supported by the Trust as well as assisting with the maintenance and upkeep of existing performance spaces.